- Tunisian man dies of new coronavirus
- Balloon crash kills tourists in Cappadocia, Turkey
- Oklahoma ravaged by deadly tornadoes
- Car bomb attacks kill dozens in Iraqi cities
- Kabul blast: Suicide bomber targets foreign convoy
- Rwanda building collapse: Six dead and dozens injured
- Deadly tornado strikes Texas town of Granbury
- Syria conflict: BBC shown 'signs of chemical attack'
- Wales weather: Minera mudslide clean-up begins
- New Orleans Mother's Day parade hit by shooting
Afghan quakes: 80 died in landslide, says Baghlan governor
More than 80 people are believed to have been killed in a landslide triggered by two quakes in northern Afghanistan on Monday, officials say.
"This is a human tragedy. An entire village was lost," the governor of Baghlan province told the BBC.
Part of a mountain collapsed, burying more than 23 houses in a village in Bahglan's Borka district. Officials say bulldozers are there to recover bodies.
The quakes of around magnitude 5.4 struck the area in quick succession.
Reproduced under licence from BBC News © 2012 BBC
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this news item to a friend:
- New Editorial Board Members
- Comment - CRJ Issue 8:4
- Korean tensions - an analysis
- A deeper look at the causes of incidents...
- 'Out of the Box' exercise by Christo Motz
- New Advisory Panel Member
- Vigilant and resilient society in Finland
- Crisis Response Journal (Volume 8, issue 2)
- From the frontline
- Survival First Aid Training in Estonia
Crisis Response Journal Partners
Below is a list of Crisis Response Journal’s Sponsoring Partners, leading specialists in the crisis, security and emergency response disciplines.